Monday, January 7, 2013

Great start to a New Year

Hey there,

I hope 2013 is treating everybody as well as it's treating me; this is going to be a good year. I've dedicated the entire year to serving my Lord in every way possible, and I can't really imagine a better way to spend it. A kid leaving on his mission soon, spoke in sacrament meeting yesterday and mentioned how he can't think of a better way to spend the prime of his life. I tend to agree.

This Saturday, the Guessmans in Logandale are getting baptized and I'm so excited, especially since President Black is letting me go up there to be there for it! That family was prepared beyond belief; they've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time. The father is already a member, he was just inactive. Next Sunday, he'll be giving his son the Aaronic Priesthood, which is just about too cool. I know how it feels to be given the priesthood by a worthy father, and I'm so happy that the son, Chase (13), gets to experience that (on his birthday, too!). I'm so excited to see the baptism take place, and I'm sure the Spirit will be there in abundance. It'll be kind of neat to be back in Logandale, even if it only for a couple hours. 

As the third hour of church was starting, the teacher pointed to a man sitting on the front row and said "I'm sorry, but I don't recognize you. Are you visiting?". The man began to explain that this was his first time going to church in over 20 years and his wife, a Catholic by tradition, was in Relief Society and wanted to learn more about the church. We were able to contact him and set up an appointment this following week, which is awesome, but it was something he said that I couldn't stop thinking about all day. When asked why he decided to go back to church, he simply said "I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old". He understood that the best gift he could give his young children is to be reared in the gospel of Jesus Christ. That really touched me and it reminded me of my parents and how their adherence to the gospel has impacted me. The most wonderful gift that can be given to a child is the opportunity to be raised in a loving family, blessed by the presence of the priesthood and the knowledge of gospel truths. 

I'm out here, freely giving two years of my life, to share the good news that's brought me an immeasurable amount of happiness. The best feeling in the world is when somebody decides to make the leap of faith and is rewarded. I love this work and I love my Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I know that through Him, all can be forgiven and made clean. I love you guys and hope all is well!

Love,
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment